Tuesday 10 March 2015

Homemade : Bath Bombs


One of the things I'll be giving my Mum this mothers day is some homemade bath items, well some bath bombs and soaps at least.
Today I'm making the bath bombs!

So, here's what you'll need to make a Bath Bomb!

(Oh! before I begin, you can probably get these items cheaper elsewhere but I was pressed for time and wentfor I went for convenience, though I didn't think most of these things were poorly priced at all!)

1. Bicarbonate of Soda - Wilkinson's, £1 for 500g
2. Citric Acid - Wilkinson's, £1 for 50g
3. Fragrance - Hobby Craft, Rose Fragrance £3.86 for 25ml
4. Essential oil - Wilkinson's, Lavender Oil  £1.25 10ml
5. Decoration (optional) - Hobby Craft, Rose Buds £2.96 per pack
6. 1 or 2 mixing bowls
7. Measuring scales
8. Spoon for mixing (optional)
9. Water, preferably in a spray bottle
10. Colouring (optional) - eBay, Rosebud Pink mineral pigment powder 
£2.50 for 5g
11. Bath bomb mould - eBay  £3.99 for a 6cm round mould


The mineral colouring powder hasn't arrived yet so today I'm just making white rose scented bath bombs with lavender oil.

  • So first, measure out about 75g of the bicarbonate of soda and sift into a bowl, then add about 35g of citric acid and mix using your fingers or a spoon until fully combined.

  • Next,you can either split the mixture in half and add about 2g of colourant to one half, OR you could colour the whole mixture, OR like me leave it white.

  • Then, add about 2ml of your rose fragrance, I just squirted a little bit into the mixture until I thought the fragrance was a nice 'strength'. Also add a similar amount of your essential oil, in my case I used lavender to make a really floral scented bath bomb, which relaxing tones.

  • Here's the tricky bit, you use your spray bottle to add water, little at a time until the mix becomes damp. If you make it too wet the mixture will start to fizz and effervesce, I did this on my first attempt, it was super messy and didn't work. So you want the mix to start to stick together, it will sort of look and feel like fake snow.

  • Now fill one half of your mould with your mixture. You can alternate your coloured mixes to make a stripey pattern if you want, but as mine is all white I just filled the half fully pressing in down so there are no air spaces. Leave a little mound of mix at the top of the half so when you press the two halves together they'll merge. 
  • I then did pretty much the same to the other half of the mould but before putting the mix in, at the bottom I put about 5 rose buds, so they'll poke out of the bath bomb once complete. Then I joined the two halves together with a little force so they'd set together.



  • I left the filled mould for about 10 minutes so the mix would set (but I leave them overnight before properly handling them). To remove carefully take one half of the mould away, your bath bomb should have formed so only the mould is removed. Then cup the non-mould half of the bath bomb in your hand and carefully lift of the other side of the mould. Your bath bomb is complete!



I really enjoyed making these, they were super quick and easy to make. I know my Mum will love them!

On Thursday I'll make a homemade soap post!

What do you think? Will you give these a try?
Have you ever made your own bath bombs before?

Thanks for Reading!
Birds in Blossom x

2 comments:

  1. Wow, these turned out brilliant! :P You will have to let us know how they turn out when put in the bath tub! :)
    Elephant stories and more

    ReplyDelete
  2. Handmade Soap A very awesome blog post. We are really grateful for your blog post. You will find a lot of approaches after visiting your post.

    ReplyDelete