Sunday 26 January 2014

Favourites | Mascara & Liquid Liner

Today, I thought I'd share with you my favourite mascara and liquid liner, they are both Rimmel products and both are black in colour. I use them every single day, practically without fail, and they never let me down, so yeah, I've decided to do a quick post on them!

Oh, by the way, I bought them both from Boots, but obviously that isn't the only place to find them and as there may not even be a Boots near you, so I've put links to the actual product page on the Rimmel website as they tell you all places where is available for you to buy them, hope that helps for anyone who is interested!


I have only just started using this particular mascara, the Rimmel ScandalEyes Lycra Flex Mascara (RRP £6.99), but I have instantly fallen in love. I do have naturally long lashes (though you couldn't tell from the photos!) so mascara does tend to work really well for me, but this product is on another level in comparison to mascaras I have used in the past. It truly lengthens my lashes and adds volume to them, just what you want from a mascara, and as a person who actually never wears false lashes but has considered wearing them, ScandalEyes makes me think that I really don't need them!



The applicator brush is large and thick (and a conventional shape, I don't really understand the benefit of all these strange shaped mascara brushes) just what I want, as it means good coverage of mascara on your lashes in just a few quick strokes of the brush.

However, I do find if you're not careful with application, it can start to clump a little if you apply more than one coat (like mine did today a bit). The best way to avoid this is by making sure the mascara isn't too thick at the end of the lashes and to 'wiggle' your brush as you are applying it, so make quick short side to side movements as you go up and along your lashes. Also let it dry after the first coat and use a clean eyelash comb (which I didn't have on me today) to separate the lashes, then carefully apply another coat if necessary. But just look at the difference it makes to my lashes!


Note that mascara does go 'off' and won't work like it should so it will probably clump a lot more that you'd expect and it'll be thick, so it won't spread nicely over your lashes.
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - 


Now this product is now an good old friend of mine, I've been using Rimmel Glam'Eyes Professional Liquid Liner (RRP £.5.29) for years and it's by far the best liquid liner I've come across for two reasons; Firstly, the liner itself, it's matte dark colour and lasts all day, very rarely do I have to do touch ups. Secondly, the applicator, which is actually a brush, you know with individual hairs like a paint brush, rather than a felt-tip nib type thing you often get which is good as I tend to find the nib ones to be too solid and stiff to get the smooth lines you can achieve with a brush style applicator. 

My eyeliner isn't perfect today and is a little messy (as you can see from the photo below, I had still to do the clean up on the smudged mascara below the water line and on my top lid), but like eyebrows, the eyeliner on each lid, doesn't have to be identical, just a similar style (otherwise it would just look odd). So I just go with what works from day to day, which tends to be a pretty simple cat eye look with a not too drastic flick.


- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - 

Anyway, that's that for now, I would highly recommend these products if you don't mind very obvious and dark make-up. It's probably a little to heavy for most people, but it's what I do everyday and it is pretty quick and easy to do. Though, obviously if you did a thinner eye-liner line, and just one coat of mascara it would be more subtle look. They aren't too expensive compared to other products around, they do last a while and definitely have the quality. Thanks for reading! (and sorry for all the gross, high quality, up close pictures of my eyes!)

Here's a little start to finish comparison photo set!
         
Keep smiling,
BirdsinBlossom x

7 comments:

  1. Replies
    1. Thanks and thank you for commenting!

      Birds in Blossom x

      Delete
  2. YOUR EYEBROWS!! I wrote that then saw the comments above, ooops!
    I love the liner and your lashes look lovely. I'm all about the clumpy look!!
    xxx | daisydaisyxxo

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow great results with the mascara and some killer eyeliner skills you've got there ;)


    Please check out my beauty blog nailsandteapots.blogspot.co.uk xx

    ReplyDelete
  4. I have this eyeliner, love it!! By the way your brows look amazing!

    x

    www.jazabella.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete